04 April 2008

Practice

On Monday 31st March, Tim and I started our 3 weeks of practice in Over Jerstal. We go there by bus (but there aren't a lot of busses to go there so sometimes we have to wait a long time or we're at school quite early...) I'm happy to be there with Tim: we laugh a lot together! We also observed a lot of lessons and we teach 2 French hours every Wednesday. We introduced some vocabulary about "clothes", "colours" and "the way" in French to "our" 5 pupils. It was really nice! We also give P.E. on Monday and Thursday. That´s quite funny! Teachers are very friendly, too. Karin and Jenny are the 2 teachers I'm following during my practice. I'm sometimes their assistant. I learned a lot by observing them. The school accomodations are perfect: computers, rooms, space, materials, library, ... But I can say that the biggest problem in Denmark is the "obvious lack" of DISCIPLINE!!! Teachers can't use consequences to "punish" pupils... That's a pity I think. They don't have "power" or a lot of influence on their pupils. These are too free and I'm sure there will be more and more problems in the next years if nobody can improve the situation and find a solution for this problem. I really believe that every school needs some rules and a diary in which teachers can write some notes down. After 4 notes for instance, the pupil must stay at school during 2 hours when the lessons are finished to make some extra work. This will make pupils think about their behaviour. I'm sure they prefer being at home to staying at school when their friends are free... What do you think about discipline in Denmark? Do you have solutions to sort this problem out?

No comments: